70 years of advocating on behalf of members, ensuring fairness in the workplace and embracing comradery within our Union.
On August 15, 1949 Local 1620 was established within the IBEW and given jurisdiction for utility work for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The hard work of our members from 1949 propelled us on a path to great success and growth. We whole-heartedly thank them for their courage and foresight!
Back in 1949, there were employment issues relating to employer work locations. With strong worker support, especially from lineman, a meeting was held by eight workers at 148 Pleasant Street in St. John’s. Led by Richard (Dick) Murphy, they organized a discussion meeting. The group made the necessary registration to the Department of Labour and became certified under the IBEW. We were then chartered by the IBEW as Local 1620.
These workers were instrumental in our Local’s formation. Once formed, Dick then became Local 1620’s first President and was sworn into office at our first Local Union meeting on August 24, 1949. Minutes from that very meeting are available for your review here.
Under Murphy’s leadership, Local 1620 went on to negotiate its first collective agreement with Newfoundland Light and Power Co. Ltd. He provided energetic, sensible guidance for the Union and established a great rapport with the company. Because of this, wages and working conditions were improved.
Since then we have grown and made many working improvements. Because of all our past Union leaders, we have come a long way and our benefits are better than ever.